Indian Premier League or the IPL is the most popular T20 cricket league of India held officially during the months of March and April and is the most attended cricket league in the world. The current IPL title holders are Mumbai Indians who won the 2017 IPL tournament. The IPL’ 18 or the 11th Edition of IPL is scheduled to begin from 7th April 2018 and continue till 27th May 2018. IPL’18 would witness the return of Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals in the league after serving a suspension period of 2 years. Lists of all the participating teams for IPL’18 alongside their respective captains have been compiled below:
- Chennai Super Kings(CSK): CSK is going to be performing under the expert captaincy of former Indian Cricket team Captain or the more fondly known as Captain Cool, Mahendra Singh Dhoni. An attacking right-handed middle order batsman and wicket-keeper he is famous for his master finishing in limited-overs cricket. Out of his numerous excellent performances in various ODIs, he is best known for his performance in 2011 world cup where he scored an outstanding run of 91 out of 79 balls which ultimately lead to India winning the World Cup 2011. We look forward to seeing some more of his expert captaincy skills in IPL’18.
- Delhi Daredevils(DD): DD is going to be captained by Gautam Gambhir who is a left-handed opening batsman. He is the former captain of IPL team Kolkata Knight Riders. He had held the captaincy of the Indian Cricket Team for six ODIs from late 2010 to late 2011 with India winning all six matches. He is also the only Indian to have scored more than 300 runs in four consecutive test series. With such expertise at their disposal, we hope to see a stunning performance from the Delhi Daredevils.
- Kings XI Punjab: Kings XI Punjab will be captained by Ravichandran Ashwin in IPl’18. He is an Indian International Cricketer who bats right-handed and bowls right-arm off break and plays for Tamil Nadu in Domestic Cricket. He is the fastest Indian Bowler to reach the 50-, 100-, 150-, 200-, 250 and 300-wicket mark in Test cricket. In 2016 he became the third Indian to win the ICC Cricketer of the Year Award. We look forward to witnessing more of his skills in India’s most favourite cricket league.
- Kolkata Knight Riders(KKR): KKR, one of the most promising teams of IPL since its inception is to be headed by Sachin Karthik in IPl’18. Heis an Indian wicketkeeper-batsman who made his debut for the Indian cricket team in 2004 and has been a regular member of the team for varying periods since then, including a stint in 2007 as a specialist opening batsman and non-wicket-keeper. Karthik was a batsman in his junior career but turned to wicket-keeping in order to improve his future prospects.
- Mumbai Indians: Winner of IPL’17 and the team to win the title for 3 times is set to be headed by Rohit Sharma in IPL’18. Rohit Sharma is an Indian International player who is the Vice Captain of the Indian National Team in the Limited Over Format. He is a right-handed batsman and an occasional right-arm off break bowler who plays for Mumbai in domestic cricket. On 13 November 2014, Rohit Sharma scored 264 against Sri Lanka at Eden Gardens, Kolkata, which is the highest individual score in ODIs. He has also scored 106 against South Africa in Twenty20 Internationals and became the second Indian to score a century in all three formats. He then became the only player in the world to score three double hundreds in ODIs. Rohit Sharma is the first skipper to lead his team to the IPL title thrice. An amazing team with an even amazing captain definitely promises an amazing visual Treat to all cricket fans.
- Rajasthan Royals: this team is set to return to the field after serving their 2-year suspension and looks like their return is set to recreate history under the expert captaincy of Steve Smith. He is an Australian international cricketer, and currently the captain of the Australia national cricket team across all three formats. He is often regarded as one of the best test batsmen in the world. Awards he has won include the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy (ICC Cricketer of the Year) in 2015; ICC Test Player of the Year in 2015, 2017; the Allan Border Medal for the best player in Australian Cricket in 2015, 2018; Australian Test Player of the Year: 2015, 2018 and Australian One-Day International Player of the Year: 2015. He was named by Wisden as one of their Cricketers of the Year for 2015. In 2014, Martin Crowe described Smith as one of the young Fab Four of Test Cricket along with Joe Root, Kane Williamson and Virat Kohli. We look forward to another class of cricket under his leadership.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore(RCB): The Captain of this team needs no introduction. He is the heartthrob of the Indian population, young and old alike both on the field and off the field, Virat Kohli. Virat Kohli is an Indian international cricketer who currently captains the India national team. A right-handed batsman, often regarded as one of the best batsmen in the world, Kohli is ranked as one of the world’s most famous athletes by ESPN and one of the most valuable athlete brands by Forbes. Kohli holds numerous Indian batting records including the fastest ODI century, the fastest batsman to 5,000 ODI runs and the fastest to 10 ODI centuries. He is only the second batsman in the world to have scored 1,000 or more ODI runs for four consecutive calendar years. A clash between the world’s best cricketers and we can look forward to this man and his team breaking some records.
- Sunrisers Hyderabad: Sunrisers Hyderabad are set to play under the efficient captaincy of David Warner who is an Australian cricketer and the current vice-captain of the Australian cricket team. Currently, he is ranked 6th in the list of top Test batsmen in the world and ranked 3rd for the top ODI batsmen in the world, according to the official ICC Player Rankings, published in April 2017. He is the first Australian and sixth overall to reach 1,500 T20I runs. He is also the first Australian batsman to score 7 ODI centuries in a calendar year. On 28 September 2017, he played in his 100th ODI and became the first batsman for Australia and 8th batsman overall to score a century in his 100th ODI.
With such stellar list of captains, we can expect not only to see some quality performance from the eight competing teams and an equally enthusiastic audience both in the stadium as well as outside. IPL’18 may just turn out to be one of the most happening seasons in IPL history for the teams and their composition especially the captains look promising. However, its for the futurity to judge for all we can do is sit back and enjoy a good season of quality cricket.